Former President Barack Obama has publicly addressed the controversy that erupted after President Donald Trump shared — and later deleted — a video portraying Obama and former First Lady Michelle Obama as apes.
The clip, originally posted on Truth Social earlier this month, sparked widespread backlash. Critics across the political spectrum condemned the imagery as racist and inflammatory. Although the video was removed, Trump declined to issue an apology.
In an interview released Saturday, Feb. 14, with YouTuber Brian Tyler Cohen, Obama described the post as “deeply troubling” and reflective of what he sees as a broader deterioration in political discourse.
“It’s important to recognize that the majority of the American people find this behavior deeply troubling,” Obama said. “It is true that it gets attention, that it’s a distraction, but as I’m traveling around the country … you meet people [and] they still believe in decency, courtesy, kindness. And there’s this sort of clown show that’s happening in social media and on television.”
Obama also expressed concern about what he characterized as a loss of decorum associated with the presidency.
“There doesn’t seem to be any shame about this among people who used to feel like you had to have some sort of decorum and a sense of propriety and respect for the office. That’s been lost,” he said, again referencing what he called a “clown show” atmosphere in parts of political media.
The now-deleted video, posted on Feb. 5, reportedly featured animated apes dancing to The Lion Sleeps Tonight with the Obamas’ faces digitally superimposed. The post drew immediate condemnation, including from some Republican figures.
Republican Senator Tim Scott called it “the most racist thing I’ve seen out of this White House.”
White House Press Secretary Karoline Leavitt responded to criticism by downplaying the controversy, telling TMZ to “stop the fake outrage and report on something today that actually matters to the American public.”
President Trump, 79, defended himself by stating that the video had been posted by a staff member and that he had not fully reviewed it. “No, I didn’t make a mistake,” he said, adding that he believed it was intended as a parody connected to broader political messaging.
Beyond the social media controversy, Obama used the interview to raise concerns about immigration enforcement practices under the Trump administration. He specifically referenced federal operations in Minneapolis–Saint Paul, describing certain reported tactics as “deeply concerning” and “dangerous.”
“It is important for us to recognize the unprecedented nature of what ICE was doing in Minneapolis, St. Paul,” Obama said. He cited allegations involving aggressive enforcement methods, arguing that such actions represented a departure from established norms.
He connected these concerns to what he framed as a broader debate about American values. Referring to recent high-profile incidents — including the killing of Alex Pretti in Minneapolis and the death of Renee Good, a 37-year-old woman reportedly killed by an immigration agent — Obama described them as “a wake-up call to every American, regardless of party.”
He added that explanations offered by the administration regarding those cases were “not informed by any serious investigation.”
Throughout the interview, Obama emphasized that he believes voters will ultimately determine how they view the current political climate.
“The American people will ultimately decide how they feel about these actions when they head to the ballot box,” he said. “People still believe in decency, courtesy, kindness. And we’re going to fight back and we’re gonna push back with the truth.”
The controversy underscores ongoing tensions between the two former political rivals and reflects the increasingly polarized nature of American political discourse, particularly in the realm of social media.
