Reports emerged Thursday morning that Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor, formerly known as Prince Andrew, had been arrested at Wood Farm on the Sandringham estate on suspicion of misconduct in public office. The development quickly drew international attention, given Andrew’s long-standing association with the late convicted sex offender Jeffrey Epstein and the continued scrutiny surrounding that relationship.
According to a statement from Thames Valley Police, officers detained a 66-year-old man following an assessment of a complaint alleging the sharing of confidential material with Epstein. Authorities confirmed an investigation has now been formally opened.
“We will not be naming the arrested man, as per national guidance,” police said. “Please also remember that this case is now active so care should be taken with any publication to avoid being in contempt of court.”
Assistant Chief Constable Oliver Wright added:
“Following a thorough assessment, we have now opened an investigation into this allegation of misconduct in public office. It is important that we protect the integrity and objectivity of our investigation as we work with our partners to investigate this alleged offence. We understand the significant public interest in this case, and we will provide updates at the appropriate time.”
Andrew has consistently denied any wrongdoing.
After approximately 11 hours in custody, he was released later the same day. Police confirmed the investigation remains ongoing.
Trump Responds From Air Force One
Shortly after news of the arrest broke, former U.S. President Donald Trump addressed reporters aboard Air Force One. His remarks focused not only on Andrew but also on the broader implications for the British royal family.
“I think it’s a shame. I think it’s very sad,” Trump said. “I think it’s so bad for the royal family. It’s very, very sad. To me, it’s a very sad thing.”
He also referenced Andrew’s brother, King Charles III, who is expected to visit the United States in the near future.
“His brother, who is coming to our country very soon, [he’s] a fantastic man — King.”
When questioned about whether individuals in the United States connected to Epstein could face arrest, Trump made an unexpected comment about his own position in past investigations.
“It’s really interesting, because nobody used to speak about Epstein when he was alive, and now they speak,” Trump said. “But I’m the one that can talk about it because I’ve been totally exonerated.”
His remarks quickly circulated online, reigniting debate over Epstein’s network and the ongoing legal scrutiny tied to that case.
King Charles Issues Statement
As attention intensified, Buckingham Palace released a statement from King Charles III expressing concern and emphasizing the importance of due process.
“I have learned with the deepest concern the news about Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor and suspicion of misconduct in public office,” the King said. “What now follows is the full, fair and proper process by which this issue is investigated in the appropriate manner and by the appropriate authorities. In this, as I have said before, they have our full and wholehearted support and co-operation.”
He continued:
“Let me state clearly: the law must take its course. As this process continues, it would not be right for me to comment further on this matter. Meanwhile, my family and I will continue in our duty and service to you all.”
The statement was measured and restrained, reflecting the monarchy’s longstanding approach of avoiding direct commentary on active legal matters.
Ongoing Investigation
While Andrew’s release from custody means no immediate charges have been announced, the opening of a formal investigation signals that authorities consider the allegation serious enough to warrant further examination.
Public interest remains high, particularly given Andrew’s previous withdrawal from official royal duties following controversy over his association with Epstein. Legal experts note that misconduct in public office cases can be complex, often requiring detailed examination of communications and official records.
At this stage, police have stressed that the matter is active and that reporting should be handled carefully to avoid interfering with proceedings.
As the investigation unfolds, both political and royal institutions appear intent on allowing legal channels to proceed independently. Whether additional developments emerge in the coming weeks will likely determine how significant the broader implications become — not only for Andrew himself, but also for the institutions connected to him.

